Sunday, July 24, 2011

Dusted off the ole Cricut for a Lawnscaping Challenge

Pin It

The LawnScaping challenge was to create a scene with stamps. I was really inspired by Britta Swiderski's card with all the trees. So I choose an out door whimsy scene with birds carrying the banner ala Cinderella with one single giant tree. :) I haven't been using my Cricut that much lately, but I dusted it off for this card for the challenge. When I bought my Cricut a couple years ago it came with the Every Day Paper Dolls cartridge. I really didn't think I'd use it that much as paper dolls aren't really my thing. However, this cartridge comes with a lot of other shapes and I've used it way more than I thought I would. The tree is what I cut out for this card on my Cricut. I cut it out twice. On one tree I colored in the trunk with about three different brown Copic markers to give it a nice wood grain look. On the other tree I colored in the tree top with three green Copic markers in circle strokes to give it some dimension for the leaves. I sewed on a few flower shaped buttons. Then I cut off the trunk part and glued the tree top to the piece that had the tree trunk I had previously colored in. Not only was this easier to color by cutting it up, the layering of the tree top on the trunk definitely gave it a cool look.

I took the card base and glued on a Jilly Bean Soup piece of card stock (corn kernels) that had clouds on it. Then I took a piece of vinyl ribbon and went over it with the same three green Copic markers and drew on vertical lines in fast swipes to mimic grass blades. After, I cut it with scissors vertically on the top and then went back sideways to cut a little more to make it really look like grass and glued it to the bottom. I didn't put glue on the upper third of the ribbon with the grass blades so that it could still move. I pulled back that top third of the grass and stamped the six flowers from a Close to My Heart stamp set. After that I stamped those same flowers on white card stock and colored them in with Copics. Then cut them out and paper pieced them on top of the stamps I had stamped under the grass. I finished off the daisies with a few Doodle bug yellow gems. Lastly, I pulled back the grass for the very last time and adhered the tree to the card.

The last thing I did was stamp Lawn Fawn's banner and the birds that come with the same set on white card stock. I colored the banner in with Copics and stamped Lawn Fawn's stamp set, Sophie's sentiment's "Happy Birthday" in the banner. And then adhered them with foam adhesives to make it look as if they were floating over the (paper) sky. I really love these two stamp sets and use them a lot with my card making, as well as scrapbook pages!

So, yay ...I got to use cloud paper, again! Did I mention that it's kind of been my thing as of late? Oh and buttons, I seriously love buttons! I got a huge sack of these small flower buttons on Etsy for $14. I think there were about 1, 500 of them in the lot. I've been using them slowly but surely!

Thanks so much for dropping by!

Inky and glittery fingers for all!
Gaby

3 comments:

  1. What an adorable scene you created for our challenge! Love the cloud background, the grass, flowers - banner... It is all just fab. Thanks so much for playing along with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This card is so super-sweet, Gaby!! :o) Love every detail!

    ReplyDelete