Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Vintage Father's Day

Now that Mother's Day has passed, us card makers move on to Father's Day cards. When making masculine cards, it's no secret that I love to do vintage. For my card I made the base out of Kraft and then embossed a Tim Holtz embossing folder on cream. With a Friskar's punch I punched the top of it to make it look like it came out of a note pad. Taking my foam tool I ran Vintage Photo Distress Ink over the raised parts of the embossing and around the edges. With the Silhouette I cut a tag and a typewriter. For the tag I stamped Hero Arts News Print background stamp in Hero Arts' Wet Cement ink and distressed the edges with the same ink. Then I placed the paper grommet directly into the Tim Holtz Vintage Photo Distress Ink pad and pressed it with the foam tool. I adhered the tag slightly askew onto the embossed note paper. For the typewriter I colored all the pieces with C family Copics, mainly C-1 through C-9. I wanted to make it look as distressed as possible and I really like how the blending looks almost worn. I then took the keys and wrote, "Thank You" on the ones in the center with a black pen. With the die cut there was also a piece of paper to customize that fits perfectly into the typewriter. For this I used Smitty's ABCs from Lawn Fawn and just stamped out, "Dad,". For the last touch I added a paper clip to the side of the tag.

This will be the card I give to my dad. My dad is an immigrant blue collar worker who never wore a tie to work. He also isn't "Mister Fix it". I feel like the majority of the cards out there aren't for most dads. They try to fit all our fathers into two categories. So I was pretty pleased I could make a nice card that made it easy to let him know I was thankful for him. I hope this will give some inspiration for those of you in the same boat as me. :) However, next week I'll be showing the card I made for my father in law who fits the tie and briefcase bill!

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today!

Inky and glittery manly distressed fingers for all!
-Gaby

Entering this into:
Simon Says Stamp and Show: Anything Goes! for May 14, 2012.
Go Fish Challenge #17 for May 15, 2012.
365 Cards Wordy Challenge May 16, 2012.

6 comments:

  1. This is so pretty. Love it.

    Hugs,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea Gaby! I am sure your dad would love it :) Such nice details....I am so confused as to what to do for my dad LOL his favourite stamps are all of the fairy ones because he thinks they look cool LOL ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great vintage card! Thanks for joining us at Go Fish Challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great male card Gabrielle - love the simple colour combo and layers with the typewriter! Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right! I have a hard time finding a good Dad card for my husband who is the antithesis of a Mr. Fix It. LOL He is a musician. This card is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome masculine card!! I love the colors and the typewriter with the thank you on the keys is clever:) So cute!
    Thanks so much for joining us in the challenge at Go Fish!
    Sherrie K
    http://sherriescraps.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete