Thursday, September 1, 2011

My take on beach botanical ...

Pin It

My friend Tamra asked me to make a birthday card for her friend somewhat like the card I made for her birthday last year. That her friend liked the beach and flower gardens and that she wanted her friend's name, April, on the front of the card. This is what I came up with and I'm pretty happy with it. I used a mask from Prima and a bunch of acrylic paints to make the background. Then I misted over it with gold and apricot colored glimmer mists. I really like how it turned out. It was trial and error for me though! I first tried to use the masks with mists and it was a no-go as the mists just rain under the plastic mask. Then I tried using distress inks with a foam tool and that just bent the fine bits of the mask ....so that's when I thought gently dabbing on acrylic paints with a stiff brush would work best.

I first attempted to hand write the "happy birthday" on the card like I had done for Tamra's card last year. Sadly I messed up and had to cover it. I had received these canvas sticky back rolls from a Two Peas challenge win and thought I could save my card by stamping out the sentiment with Stayzon brown ink with Lawn Fawn's Smitty's ABCs. The only problem was that the canvas was a wee bit too transparent so I had to adhere it to a piece of paper first then cut it out and adhere to the card. In the end it looked really cool seeing the tiny white flowers on orange through the canvas. I added some Stamp'n Up corduroy brads to add a lil something extra to give it the look of it being tacked up by the brads.

For the bottom embellishment I used a die cut from the Paislee Nantucket collection, a wish ticket from Tim Holtz, and a metal butter fly from Close to My Heart.

The green outer border is washi tape from Amy Tangerine.

Every thing was edged in Tim Holtz's Vintage Photo before adhering and lastly I sprayed it ever so slightly with the Gold Glimmer Mist. Of course I felt it wasn't enough so I sprayed it once more, but this time with Sand Glimmer Mist.

I just sent the picture of the final product to my friend, I hope she likes it!

Inky and glitter fingers for all!
Gaby

1 comment:

  1. Hey thanks for stopping by my blog. We definately had apple pie and I will be making a layout about that. Glad you survived hurricane Irene - I look forward to seeing your finished layout.

    ReplyDelete