Friday, August 5, 2011

Summer double page layout featuring rub ons.

Pin It



Pin It



Pin It



Pin It



Pin It



Pin It


I love Two Peas in a Bucket. It's so much more than an online scrap store. They have free classes and tutorials, challenges, members share their projects, there's a forum. Just heaps of fun for any paper crafter!

Each month there's different free classes. I did this layout for the "Products you Love Every Which Way" class which started on July 10th and will end on August 10th that featured rub ons. I'm typically not a fan of rub ons. I always get scared when rubbing them on with the included popsicle stick that I'll miss a part, causing it not to stick all the way and ruin the whole thing. I see rub ons like makeup application. My mom always said to blend your foundation till you think it's perfect, then keep blending more. Only then will it be properly applied and look natural on your face. As with the rub ons, I keep rubbing till I feel it's fully adhered, but then rub more to make sure it really is fully adhered.

These pictures were from a trip down to Myrtle Beach, SC to visit my husband's family while they were on vacation. It was an extra special trip just to finally meet our nephew Max! So this page is heavy on the Max pictures and not so much on the beach. :)

I used Kraft cardstock as my background. I've been using it on almost all my layouts and on a lot of cards, too. I just think it's so pretty, the way it's raw and uncolored. Plus it's awesome because it's made out of recycled paper. On top of the Kraft I put another layer of Kraft that had a black design printed on top of it. I cut an inch off of two sides of my paper and adhered it to the center of the plain Kraft cardstock. The next thing I did was matte all my pictures with Doodlebug's petite prints cardstock in five different colors. This helped bring the Carolina beachy feel to the LO and also matched the slipper (flip flops as most call them) pattern I used in blocks at the bottoms of both pages. All the edges of the papers besides the bottom most Kraft card stock were inked with Stamp'n Up's Calypso Coral. This helped tie all the papers together.

When all the papers were in place is when I adhered my pictures. I didn't really have room for too much of a title, but since the trip was really about seeing Max and I needed to add rub ons for the challenge, I did the title like I did. I cut out a piece of paper from a 6x6 paper pack I won a long time ago in a raffle. The paper had lines on it which made it perfect for adhering my "hello" lagoon rub ons from KI. I also used a friskars punch to punch out the top of the paper to make it look as if it were torn out of a notebook. I edged the paper in Tim Holtz's Vintage Photo Distressing ink and added one of Tim's mini paper clips to the top. I then added the blue Thickers letters to spell out Max! and lastly tied a hemp twine bow around the bottom. I adhered it very loosely so that it wasn't so flat and looked more like it was just hanging there slightly tucked into the slipper paper.

For embellishments I used Doodlebug boutique buttons, October Afternoon's Seaside stickers, American Craft tags, and Studio Calico cloud rub ons. I sewed the buttons on in groups of three with cream colored embroidery floss. I rubbed the cloud rub ons on the top of the second page as I needed more rub ons for this challenge. Plus well, I really like clouds. :) The round October Afternoon stickers were layered onto circles I had punched from the same Doodlebug petite prints paper I used before and adhered them to the page with foam adhesives. And of course, I lightly edged the doodlebug circles with Calypso Cooler ink. The tags I stamped Family Vacation on one with Ali Edward's Awesome Days of Summer stamp set and on the other tag I stamped July 2011 with Ali Edward's A Date with Ali stamps. Then edged the tags with that same Calypso Cooler ink to make them match everything. I later went back and outlined the tag that had the date on it with an orange Copic marker because I felt it wasn't popping enough. Then I looped a piece of hemp twine and tied a bow through the tag that had the date on it. I placed the tag that had "family vacation" stamped on it horizontally and the one with the date and hemp vertically with foam adhesives. After I just went through and added a couple word stickers. I especially liked the one that had an Erma Bombeck quote that read, "We hit the sunny beaches where we occupy ourselves keeping the sun off our skin, the saltwater off our bodies, and the sand out of our belongings." That pretty much described our whole time on the beach. :)

Thank you so much for dropping by and reading this super long post! If only there were virtual cookies, I'd be sure to give you one!

Inky and glittery fingers for all!
-Gaby

No comments:

Post a Comment