Monday, April 23, 2012

Made Especially For You: Earth Day Challenge

This week at Made Especially For You we're celebrating Earth Day by making cards with recycled materials.  My recycled (or as I like to call it, up-cycled) material was some packaging from a Nestabilities die cutting template.  I cut it with my paper trimmer (I have a cheap-o $14 one, I think pretty much any one would work) and then ran it through my cuttle bug with the Swiss Dots embossing folder.  I added a little bit of Frost Blue Copic marker re-inking ink on the back of the sheet to give the little dot grooves a hint of blue.  Since it's alcohol based it will cling to the plastic pretty well. For the stamping I used one of the Sweet Stamp Shop's sets called Happy Bugs, isn't that lady bug adorable? It comes with a separate stamp for the wings that I stamped on velum with Stazon silver ink and paper pieced onto the ladybug. I put a little gem in the center to hide the glue. I added washi tape to the edges of the plastic to also hide the glue and I really like how it looks! When working with clear or see through papers you have to become a little creative to hide the adhesives. Though I did hear there's a new tape runner specifically made to use with vellum, but I like a challenge! :)

Here's the official deets for the challenge:

Challenge runs from now till April 29th

Create a card using a recycled material (for Earth Day! :) You could use old book pages, bottle caps, newspaper, basically anything that has been used before and is now being re-used on your card)

Sponsor: Jessica's Craft Shaque

Prize: Winner will receive a set of decorative corsage pins


create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

I'm also entering this into Sweet Stamp Shop's current challenge on their blog.

The details for this challenge is to use one of their new releases from either their March or April releases. The project must be new and you also have to attach their logo to your blog post as seen above. :) Be sure to check it out, lots of cute stamps from those two releases!

And also into Simon Says Stamp and Show use your favorite word challenge. My favorite word is Cute. :) I also like to use Kawaii at times too, which is Japanese for cute.


Thank you so much for stopping by and I really hope you'll enter this contest! I can't wait to see all the innovative ways to use recycled materials!!

Inky and glittery fingers for all!
-Gaby

4 comments:

  1. love that cute lady bug.... pretty card Gaby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous Gaby! Great idea to use the packaging...it looks really great :) Also, I have some candy over on my blog if you are interested http://kitandclowder.blogspot.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. BEAUTIFUL CARD BFF!!! I LOVE how you "UP-CYCLED" your packaging!!! VERY crafty missy!!!!

    Super job!

    Crafty Hugs,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. a very lovely card indeed - love the bright colours, embossed dots and ladybird - looks great! Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show! Sarah.

    ReplyDelete